Can mould exposure make you feel unwell?

Can mould exposure make you feel unwell?

Mould is a member of the fungus family and is a branching-type of growth called hyphae. Mould rarely “dies” from heat or cold exposure, and can remain dormant until a particular season (autumn) or event (thunder storms or heavy rain) occurs after which it becomes active and grows.

Where does mould grow?

Mould lives in moist conditions where there is oxygen and other chemicals. Mould may be found on dead or dying vegetation; moist & shady areas or on rotting vegetation such as leaves. Mould can also be found in damp basements,  cupboards & bathrooms as well as in food storage areas such as refrigerators. Whilst we all know that indoor plants are often considered indoor greenhouses their soil & leaves may also support the growth of mould. Another interesting area where mould can be located is in air conditioners & humidifiers; mattresses; upholstered furniture and of course in garbage containers

What is mould allergy?

Mould spores or fragments may be inhaled through the nose and into the lungs and, in sensitive individuals, these exposures may cause allergic reaction. Symptoms of mould reactions may include:
  • hay fever-like symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes or a skin rash;
  • wheezing or other symptoms in people who have asthma and are sensitive to mould;
  • fatigue or a sense of lethargy and depression;
  • as well as other unexplained recurring symptoms which may re-occur at specific times of the year.
If you would like to know more about the testing and treatment of a large variety of moulds please call YourHealth Brighton on (03) 9596 0757

Share this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *